Established in 1888, St Mary’s School, Waverley, is Johannesburg’s oldest school. It is an independent school with a proud tradition of developing impressive young women who make their mark in the arts, sciences, business, politics, the media and sport, and the St Mary’s Foundation works hard to ensure that St Mary’s girls have everything they need to enjoy a first-class education.
But St Mary’s does not exist in isolation from the community in which it is situated, and the Foundation is also actively committed to providing critical resources and opportunities to those who need them most.
The Foundation has created an endowment which aims to build a capital base. The return on investment of this capital will support education for girls, training and developing teachers, and funding of community affairs programmes.
During St Mary’s School’s history, spanning more than a century, many generous donors who have contributed to the wellbeing of the school by supporting various fundraising initiatives for facilities, and for teachers and pupils.
It is thanks to these donors that St Mary’s remains a leader and a beacon in girls’ education. St Mary’s continues to appeal to the generosity of those who support the school in its endeavours to remain a top-class educator of girls.